Search This Blog

Monday, October 7, 2013

Talking with Tom Clancy


My Encounter with the Great Tom Clancy

 
Yes, I did know Mr. Clancy, even if it was only by email. Maybe I was naïve, but I felt a certain kinship with the best-selling author. After graduating from college in 1969 and before he wrote his first novel, Tom Clancy worked as an insurance broker. In 1980, he bought his own agency and began work on The Hunt for the Red October, which was published in 1984.

 
When I began work on my own story, I thought perhaps Mr. Clancy might be willing to point me in the right direction. When I emailed the best-selling author, it never occurred to me that  he might not welcome questions from fledgling writers. I thought, you know, one insurance guy to another.

 
If you know me, you know I am not intimidated by much…Heck, I even asked the great man if he would consider writing an endorsement for my book.

Mr. Clancy did, in fact write me back, and here are some clips of our conversations:

Mr. Clancy,
I am the chief principal of an insurance agency
I own with my parents, and as you once did,
I am working on my first book.

What advice would you give me about getting my book published?
 Maybe you would like to read the rough draft.

Would you by any chance consider writing a foreword for my book?
thanks,
Rob Whedbee

TC

Do it. Don't tell me about it. Do it.

TC

Everybody's got his own system. I never use an outline, for example. I just write the damned thing. Try whatever works for you.

TC

Best advice: It's your story. You have to write it. I can't do that for you. That's the price of admission into this club. So, pay up and write the damned thing.

 
RW
 
OK I WROTE THE DAMN THING, NOW WHAT?

TC

What do you want me to do?

New York is full of publishers. YOU pick one. Simon & Shuster, Putnam, Doubleday. St. Martins. YOU pick one. They all employ editors who are always looking for new talent.

There is no magic formula. You need to work for it, and be lucky.
 

Send it to an editor. Publishers are always looking for new talent. Why? Because I will not live forever. Pick one you like and send it in. Then hope for luck.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mr. Clancy, 66, passed away on October 1st. Ten of his books made it to Number One on The New York Times' Best-Seller List.
RIP
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
QUOTE
"Nothing is as real as a dream.
The world can change around you, but your dream will not.
Responsibilities need not erase it. Duties need not obscure it.
Because the dream is within you, no one can take it away."
Thomas Clancy
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment